Sunday, October 31, 2010

New Dress Code

When I was designing and sewing Mustard(the Mustard/black/white fabric flower in the previous post), I was worried that the color was going to be a hard sell. Come to think of it, it is Fall now and now I am dying for a mustard colored pencil skirt.

Since I started my new corporate marketing gig, I've been on the fence of how to dress. On the one hand, I need to dress business professional but on the other, I am overly creative and express myself through a million ways, outfit included. While Anthropologie's catalogs have made my mouth water and yes, they do include pencil skirts with nice tops, it is ultimately fit for a fashion industry and not in financing. So where is my happy medium of combining creative plus professional? Simple. Stick with bold, statement colors that are a good fit with a unique texture. Combine that with a sharp attitude and I'm sure my 3 Cs (CEO, COO, and CFO) can see my creative nature while being professional. Problem is, these pieces are not for the frugal- I'm working hard to shift my college-budget mindset to investment pieces. *gasp*

Also since I've started, my lifestyle seems to have changed dramatically. I didn't have any business-professional clothes and couldn't wear heals past 10 minutes to save a rabbit's life.
I used to dress like this:
Now heels are second nature to me since I wear them everyday. I get up very early and get to work with more time than I thought imaginable with my personality type. The Limited is now my favorite store(well, since Lotus Boutique closed in Pensacola). What the hey?! I guess this is what we call transition. But I am still designing hair pieces- keeps my creative juices flowing in the corporate world. Funny thing is, I wear my funky hairpieces to work sometimes- let's see what's appropriate!

Below are some of my comments relating to the outfit and piece.

{Approachable} This outfit is perfect for me in terms of blending the organic part of my personality and looking cute as well. I would wear this in the Spring but not for board meetings. It is not bold enough for me unless the jacket is taken off- the green really softens the entire look and is wonderful for meeting people. I think staying away from pastels is a better idea in terms of engaging a bold appearance.
[imgSrc: Oprah.com]


{Bold, Textured, Classy} Ok so I mentioned not going into the Anthropologie look but this piece is to die for. Add a ruffly white top to balance out the skirt's petals and some brown mules, this piece is a must have. Too bad I don't want to shell out $80 for it. But, it does meet all 3 of my rules: Classic shape, unique element, bold color.
[imgSrc: eBay.com, Anthropologie]
{Color} Again, I am all for bold colors. The Kelly green on the left is a good color to wear. Also I love the outfit in the middle. Yes, I've been going to a million online sites to find the perfect yellow/mustard pencil skirt. This image was available on Google but not on the website. I was so deadset on saving this image that I zoomed in ("Ctl" + "+" many times) and saved it as a screenshot. Forgive the pixels but understand my concept.
{Classy} This is definitely Audrey Hepburn-inspired but modernized for the workforce. Simple Navy shirt with cute detailing plus an off-white pencil with little buttons? Yes, please. Again, I guarantee the skirt is pretty pricey but am thinking I'll have to add it to my closet.
[imgSrc: Glamour.com]

{Texture} Read: check out the ruffles and bold blue color of this woman's top. If you can't tell, I'm a sucker for pencils so anything tucked into one is FTW for me. Our Dress Code JUST changed to a "Dress Professional" policy as opposed to the more-strict code we had before where we couldn't wear sleeveless and had to wear pantyhose.
[imgSrc: Glamour.com]


{Next Post...} Vintage in the workforce



No comments:

Post a Comment